A common concept among a lot of users is that a human hair wig brings a more natural look than the ones made from synthetic fibers. But is that really true? If you haven’t experienced both human hair wig and synthetic wig, it may difficult to know which one is better and which one suits you. So, let make a detailed comparison between these two types of wigs to get a full understanding before you start shopping.
Human hair wig
- Styling Versatility: Human hair wigs allow wearers to style with heat and re-color just like your own hair.
- Texture: Human hair wigs come in so many different textures. Hence, you can have a close match with your own hair texture.
- Longevity: With proper care, a human hair wig can last a year if you wear it on a daily basis. And if you treat it better with less frequency of use, it can stay with you for up to 3 years.
- Natural look: Human hair wigs are made out of real human hair. Hence, they feel great and can look incredibly natural.
- High maintenance: The hair strands do not benefit from natural oils from the scalp. Therefore, you need to hydrate and condition them daily. Just like your real hair, human hair wigs need to be washed, deep-conditioned, and re-styled frequently. They also react to the different weather conditions and can become frizzy in dry weather. Hence, you will need to set up a regular caring routine for your wig.
- Cost: Since the hair strands are harvested from human hair, they are typically more expensive than synthetic wigs.
- Color fading: Like your bio hair, the color of your human hair wig will oxidize or fade due to exposure to light.
- Fragile: The hair can be damaged if you apply harsh brushing, back-combing, or overuse of heated styling.
- Weight: In general, with the same length and style, human hair can feel heavier than synthetic fibers
- Styling: If you have a curly hair wig, after each washing, the hair will lose the pattern to some extend. You will need to re-style the wig to take back its original shape.
- Style Memory: Synthetic fibers are better at holding the style. It does not lose the texture after washing or under the different weather conditions.
- More color and style options: To remain the natural feel, human hair wig has limited color options. And similar to real human hair, a specific color may not come out the right shade due to the nature of the donor’s hair. But with synthetic wigs, you can have an array of natural color and styling options.
- Cost: Synthetic wigs are normally cheaper in price compared to human hair wigs
- Low maintenance: They require little maintenance. This is important factor to consider if you are using the wig during the treatment period.
- Look and feel: High-quality synthetic wigs may offer a more realistic look and feel, but the normal ones available all over the market cannot secure you with a natural look. Even its shine look quite unnatural shine. Therefore, synthetic wigs are more common among young cosplayers.
- Longevity: Synthetic wigs are not as durable as human hair wigs. If you use it on a daily basis, they typically last about 4-6 months, much shorter than their counterparts.
- Less versatility: Regular synthetic fibers do not allow users to apply chemical and heat styling. Because they will be simply burnt out once exposing. There is now an advanced type of synthetic fibers in the market that can endure heat. Yet, comparing to human hair strands, the “heat friendly” fibers still have limited styling options. And you cannot change the color of the wigs. That means if you want a new look with new hair color, you will need to buy a new synthetic wig.
Which one to choose?
The most expensive one does not always bring you the best result. Choosing a wig that suits you will be more important. So, before you make a decision, let consider your budget, your purpose of using, frequency of use, and how you want to change your look. Based on these factors, you can choose the most suitable hairpiece to shine up your beauty.
We hope that the comparison of human hair wig and synthetic wig will help you to find the best one for you. Thank you for reading.